Monday, December 20, 2010

Planet Cake - The Best of 2010

I tend to get a little sentimental this time of year, reflecting on the things that were and could have been over the last twelve months, and thought I would take a quick moment to share with you some of my personal favourites from the year that was 2010. So without any further adieu, may I present to you the best of the best:

MOST EXTRAVAGANT CAKE

Runner up: This gold coin we made for the Royal Australian mint was bigger than Ritzy herself


Winner: Antony designed this cake for fabulous events planner Antony Del Col , and was by far one of the most extravagant cakes we have made for a long time, complete with gold trim and mirror ball. Just fab.



BEST ANIMAL CAKE

Runner up: Okay this was a seriously hard decision as both of these animal cakes by Margie were absolutely mind-blowing, but I've decided to give second place to this super-groovy chamelion while.....

Winner - goes to these more realistic than real-life puppies made as one very special wedding cake.



BEST CASCADE

Runner up

Winner


BEST CHILDREN'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

Runner up: this one nearly made it onto my best Madhatter list but I made a last minute decision to put it here instead. I love everything about this one, the shape, the colours and those figurines. I can't imagine anything I would have loved more as a five year old.

Winner: this hand-painted African themed sunset cake just takes the cake in my book.



BEST CUPCAKE

Runner Up: just moo cute!


Winner: We were well and truly bitten with True Blood fever this year and Adam's halloween themed cupcake is one of the coolest I've ever seen.




BEST GROOVY WEDDING CAKE

Runner up: To me this one really sums up our philosophy of a modern take on classic elegance


Winner: Clean, simple and fun this wedding cake was a winner

BEST 'EEEEUWWWW' CAKE

Runner up: So real it makes your eyes water

 Winner: need I say more?
BEST MADHATTER 

Runner Up


Winner: We were all a bit dubious when Antony first showed us the colours he was planning with this one, but we were pleasantly surprised (while Antony remained pleasantly smug) at how fab this pea-green and coral look together.



BEST SEA-THEME CAKE

Runner Up: I realise this is not your standard category but we just had so many cool oceanic cakes this year I couldn't help myself. This unique cake was created for the wedding of a couple who met while working onboard a ship.

Winner: This cake from last week was just jaw-dropping


BEST ANIMAL FIGURINES

Runner Up: Margie hand-carved, painted and airbrushed each one of these figurines over a number of days.

Winner: This ballsy bovine was just hillarious


BEST HALLOWEEN CAKE

Runner Up: Anna Maria combined her love of shoes with the halloween spirit for this birthday/halloween cake

Winner: I LOVE Antony's Tim Burton-inspired halloween cake we made earlier this year.
 BEST REALISTIC FIGURINES

Runner Up: Unashamedly self-confessed Treky Margie rose to the challenge to create a realistic Starship Enterprise complete with Mr. Spock and crew
 Winner: We created this realistic figurine for the wedding of one serious comic fan from an original Superman comic book.

So that's my faves from the year gone, but I would love to hear from you guys if you think there were any standouts from the year that deserve a place on our annual wall of fame!

Thea x

0 comments:

Post a Comment